2 miles W. of Burgh, and 5 miles E. of Spilsby, is a village and
parish, containing 266 souls, and 1814 acres.
A. L. Massingberd, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most
of the soil, but Lord Monson, Lord Willoughby de Eresby, Capt.
Hodson, and several smaller owners, have land in the parish.
The Massingberd family, and before them the knightly family of
Markham, were seated at Bratoft Hall, which was taken down in
1698, though the broad moat, enclosing two acres, with a bridge of
two arches, is still in tolerable preservation.
John Stockton, a native of Bratoft, was lord mayor of London, in
1740, and the Rev. Thomas Scott, the great commentator on the
bible, was born here in 1747.
The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a venerable fabric, with a
tower and three bells, and contains a curious painting of the
Spanish Armada, surmounted by a dragon, and surrounded by England,
Scotland, Ireland and France. The aisles and the chancel were
newly roofed, and a new east window inserted, in 1844. The
discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £18. 3s. 6d., and now at £388,
is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the
Rev. Wm. Worsley, B.A., who has a handsome residence, built in
1843, at a cost of £1500; 37 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe
rent of £328, awarded at the commutation in 1840.
children of the parish attend Irby school, to which the rector and
parishoners pay £7 per annum.